Friday, February 15, 2008

Ruminations on LUV





Yes...yesterday wuz Valentine's Day...We got murdered at the restaurant I bartend at....I was almost at wit's end, and had to put on my blinders and just shoulder thru it...Naturally, I had to go get drunk with my coworkers afterwards...

These days I am trying to put a more positive spin on the holiday...I had two friends sitting at my bar last night...arguing about what meaning such a day could have(peolple from religious backgrounds tend to be biased against non religious days reflexively)...and why we need a DAY to celebrate with our loved ones, and I found myself defending the day to my own surprise....







....My logic being that rather than spending a bunch of money on this day, and making it merely a day of consumerism, people should get more creative, and MAKE something..a meal, a card....thereby bypassing BIG BUSINESS. Creating yer own meaning for a holiday rather than adhereing to someone else's...especially when most people don't know ,when asked, why we are celebrating Valentine's day in the first place...







I have yet to actually celebrate Valentine's Day with a guy (which tells you something about the average length of my romantic entanglements), but I have decided to jump off off the bandwagon regarding Valentine's Day bashing regardless....







...When it comes down to it, WHEN DONE RIGHT, I can think of alot worse things to celebrate than love....

2 comments:

bugheart said...

my sentiments
exactly.
we celebrate
the 17th
anyway.
we are rebels
that way.

Eero said...

It's the cliches of the holiday that get me.

That, and it seems that so many modern US holidays seem to separate people into the Have's and the HaveNots---regardless of intention.

Ah, except for the more outright pagan holdiays...like Halloween. Gotta love EVERYTHING about Halloween. I mean, Easter is a spring/fertility ritual, but they dandied it up with Christ and bunnies. Go figure.