Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Turning bACK da CLOCK






I love to fix things up....Things that have been neglected...(Or even discarded...), bringing them back to life before they are passed hope...like a sort of ressurection...The other off shoot being using found objects in art...not even restoring them, especially, but finding new uses for them....

When I moved into my new apartment, however, there was/IS alot to be fixed...AND SO I take it one little step at a time. Perhaps this can all be seen as an excersize in futility: I don't own this place , or any of the other apartments I have practiced this "useless magic" in, and they will probably rebegin the slow decline right after I leave due to a future owners lack of interest, but I find it comforting, and empowerig to continue nontheless...







Like these transom windows....Painted over ages ago (judging from the layers of paint I stripped off to free it from it's surrounding frame...), which used to open to ventillate, and let light into the gloomy corridor in the middle of the apartment...I always wonder what possesses people to PAINT OVER THINGS, especially rendering them useless, like windows....Just laziness I guess. And then everyone after them continues the tradition of not caring, until it takes days of work to right the error...








But then there are the moments when the end is in sight and, if you're lucky there is a payoff of some kind...Something even you hadn't suspected you were unearthing in the process....








As it turns out, these windows are beautiful cast or etched glass...in little starbursts....Why would someone want to obliterate this? It is the feeling an explorer must get when they excavate a tomb...







There are others of these cool windows to "make right", but of course I do have more important things to do....So they will have to wait....








Until I am good and ready.....

5 comments:

bugheart said...

makes me
so mad
that someone
painted
over it.
grrr,

Eero said...

Probably painted over it because it was hard to clean. Like you said, laziness.

I love the way you transform every place you live! I remember the ivy you painted in the peeling paint in the apt. we lived in....what was it's name?

E.

johnny said...

The building was THE YOUNKERS"...like they didn't know how to spell yonkers.....Remember DEBORAH our odd landlady?

Eero said...

Of course I remember her! Her and her teeth....

I kept thinking the building was the Ben Lomond---but it was just the way that Jessie used to say it that stays in my head...."Thah Bin Lahmoooond."

johnny said...

ahhh MISS Jessie Hardy....Wonder where she is now....