Wednesday, August 13, 2008

WATERlogged

I guess this is part two of the last post, as I haven't got all I have to say about these things yet...

The other day I found a bike trail near my apartment...going south...and wandered at the waters edge...

...discovering all sorts of cool detritus....How is it that water can reclaim that which we consider trash, and turn it into something so beautiful...as if has become part of nature again with the scrutiny of watery hands....










...everything is about texture....wooden beams become soft as velvet to the touch....plastic no longer looks cheap, but poetic....and all those endless schools of plastic bottles...become just more raw material for some forthcoming sculpture....










...things that have been thrown away go through a kind of purgatory...wandering the streets...blown about...until they find their way back to river and ocean (especially ocean-there is something profound about their exposure to salt water...)...There...removed from their burdens...and from any mundane context...they take flight under their new identity...weightless....their colors...somewhat faded, granted...seemed to burn with an inner light...One longs to touch them...hardly the case when they are still just "homeless"...on the street...searching for a new purpose...

...I even found Britney....cast ashore here....I had no need of her at the time...so I returned her to her plastic sanctuary and sent her on her merry way....










...and then there are other discoveries...










...I want to build a museum to detritus...I'd call it THE FLOTSAM AND JETSOM HOTEL...(2 of my favorite words....)...built out of washed up beams and boards of course....and housing all sorts of wonderful objects discovered by myself on my ramblings....A memorial to the forgotten, humble, and obscure....










......a thousand ideas for object-specific projects bloom in my brain on these excursions....And I have glimpses of the old pack-rat I might become if I do not exercise ruthless editing power in these moments of weakness....

..I wander home...these lessons in potential....setting every cell in my body vibrating with energy....and determination...and most impotantly...with realizing, yet again, that I really and truly have found my calling....





No comments: